May 5, 2010

Barefoot Running - Episode 1 (Day 1)

I've been reading alot about barefoot running the past couple days, after hearing someone mention the infamous five finger shoes.  Tonight (early morning), I went for a run with my roomie at the gym at our apartment, and I tried it out for myself on the treadmill...

Distance:  1 Mile (walked probably 1/3 of it)
Pace:  10-12 minute mile
Pain:  Severe

As you can see, this was pretty miserable in terms of distance and pace.  I had to walk once my feet started blistering up.  As we speak (15 minutes after the fact), its almost impossible to walk around on the rough carpet without severe grimacing.  I will say though, it is definitely possible to feel the difference in the strides (ball-strike vs heel-strike) once the 'running' shoes were removed.  It was 'refreshing' (pain-aside) in that my feet felt much lighter, and the impact was very noticeably softer.

In any case, I think waterbreaks during work tomorrow will be quite an (painful) adventure.

No comments:

Post a Comment